Friday, May 13, 2016

English is a Sin and Lanche is Life

Hey fam! 

My first week here has been great! long but great. We have classes all day long and then go to bed and do it all over again. Whoever said the days feel like weeks at the MTC is soooo right. Sounds boring but its actually been a bit of an adventure. 

My companion and I share a room with two other Brazilians and they are straight up such a trip. One of them is so crazy clean and the other one is crazy messy. They only speak Portuguese so our communication can sometimes go awry. My comp decided to ask if they had boyfriends and by the end of the conversation they ended up with the idea that I have/want a Brazilian boyfriend. HAHA Every time I try and explain that that's not that case they seem to lose their ability to understand. And if that's not enough the other night one of them handed me a pamphlet on chastity. Subtle, I know. haha They're great and my comp and I learn a lot of Portuguese talking to them. 

The food here is definitely interesting and mostly I just live for lanche,every night at 9 the day gets better. The best thing we have is pineapple. It's the bomb.com and honestly I'd probably be dead without the pineapple, it's this funny white color but it's so good. Also they serve hot chocolate here EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It's really good but it's warm here in Brazil so its sorta weird to have it. 

For all concerned parties, being fully immersed in a new language did not impede my ability to constantly talk. Ha I feel like nothing could. I just constantly talk but in haphazard Portuguese. The Brazilians are great and talk with my comp and I all the time. ALSO I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE BECAUSE BRAZILIANS ARE SOOOO LOUD AND SO AM I AND THEY NEVER TELL ME TO LOWER MY VOICE CUZ THEIR VOICES ARE LOUD TOO. DON'T BE SURPRISED IF I NEVER COME HOME, I LOVE BRAZILIANS AND I'M HERE TO STAY. 

Our instructor is this short little Brazilian guy and is honestly the most subtly sassy person I've ever met. He is so funny and has the weirdest mannerisms. The other day he said that English was a sin and has stuck to speaking Portuguese since then. He teaches in 80% Portuguese already so I'm mostly just glad that by some miracle I can understand it. 

Fun fact: The first word I learned in Portuguese was listen (@Bri) 

Moment of the week: 

In class the other day we were eating lanche (lanche is life) and sitting in a circle talking as a district and all the sudden my comp threw her lanche trash at our district leader who was talking to us. It was beyond hiliarious. She claims she was trying to aim at the trashcan....haha

ALSO GOOD NEWS BECAUSE ELDER HOLLAND IS COMING TO THE MTC ON MONDAY AND I'M SO PUMPED. WOWE.

love ya,

Sister Jolley



Displaying 2016_05_05_Gr_18_AM.JPG