Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Midlife Crisis--Halfway there and livin' on a prayer

Alrighty y'all, on Saturday I hit 9 months on the field and it was surreal...I feel like I arrived here last week, time sure flies!

This week I've got a bunch of great stories for y'all--

On Tuesday we went to the temple which was GREAT!!!!!!!!!! My comp and I needed to stop at the mission office to do some stuff so we ended up taking a different bus to the temple than we normally take and then we got off at the wrong stop and our phone was dead so it was just us. So we went about asking people if they knew where the Mormon temple was and no one knew where it was and then we started asking people if they had any idea where the neighborhood "Villa Jardim" is (which is where the temple is) and one guy just told us "This is Bom Jesus and here we don't talk about Villa Jardim. It'd be best if you leave." So we just left. The gangs in Porto Alegre aren't a joke people. Anyway 2 miracles later and we made it to the temple.



On Thursday our day wasn't going too well and all the appointments were falling through and no one wanted to talk to us and my comp had a fever and it was just all around a little tough. So anyway, we started knocking doors and no one wanted anything to do with anything but then all the sudden I found a lime tree in the streets and I just thought "when life gives you limes make limeade" so my comp and I went and picked a whole bunch of these huge huge limes! Anyway that night we returned home and I was just so excited to make this limeade and it turns out that they weren't big limes they were unripe oranges. It was a hard pill to swallow y'all, I was about ready to cry I was so disappointed. ( I tried to make unripeorange-ade and it just wasn't the same lolz) The day was rough and this little experience of the limes and the limeade just was such an accurate representation of my day. When you try and make the best of the situation, the situation makes the best of you.

But the week ended up with a huge miracle---the nephew of a member moved in the ward and wants to be baptized, he's 16 years old! Then on Sunday a member, outta the blue, gave us real limes and when we got home I made some really good limeade. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA My mom always said "its better to laugh than to cry" and I've been making that my life motto recently

Also just wanted to let ya'll know that this week a member served us pineapple juice out of a trash can.....it was really good juice but it was a little different, ya know? She swore up and down that it was clean lolz

I'm so incredibly grateful for the opportunity that I have to be a literal representative of Jesus Christ. Everyday I learn so much, and everyday I see miracles. The Savior really leads this work. By small and simple things great things come to pass.

Read your scriptures, say your prayers and when life gives you limes well just try and make the best of the situation

Love you guys,

Sister Jolley